Me Before You
Author: JoJo Moyes
Published: 2013, Penguin Books
Brief Summary: After losing her job at the bakery, Lou Clark is hired to be a companion to the once master of the universe Will Traynor, now a quadriplegic. Over the next 6 months, the two of them fall in love as they discover how life is worth living.
- It’s a typical love story where poor girl falls in love with rich, crippled man.
- A bit like Beauty and the Beast, except there’s no changing his condition.
- Except his attitude.
- She never gets out the house, man has been everywhere but now can’t.
- In order to get him out of his depression, girl takes him different places, trying to show him he can still get out.
- He’s appalled that she never goes anywhere, uses her efforts as an excuse to get her to try new things.
- They fall in love.
- They transform into new beings.
- Or so she things.
- He’s still determined to follow through.
- It’s sad. And happy. And anger inducing.
- Yet good.
- So, so good.
- I’ve read it multiple times.
- It invokes thoughts on controversial topics.
- Yet (to me), it does so delicately.
- And let’s you decide.